Guide through the shrine - Medjugorje-mir,mir,mir

Search the Site
Guests Online
Go to content

Main menu:

Guide through the shrine

Pilgrims and Priests

A Pilgrims Guide through the Shrine

St. James' Parish Church

The construction of the old parish church was completed in 1897, soon after the creation of the parish (1892). It was a spacious and beautiful construction for its time. Built on unstable ground, it soon started to develop fissures. Immediately after the end of the First World War, the parishioners began to think about building a new church. Construction lasted from 1934 until January 19, 1969, when it was consecrated.

St James Church is today the focus and the centre of both sacramental and prayer life, not only for the parishioners, but also for pilgrims.
A fenced-in park situated within the traffic circle at the east side of the Shrine reminds us of the place where the old parish church once stood.



The Exterior Altar

Because of new needs, which surfaced with the coming of numerous pilgrims, the church and its surroundings have been rearranged ever since 1981.

The exterior altar built in 1989, and the surrounding prayer area (with about 5000 seats), are a place of gathering in the summer time and for big feasts, when numerous thousands of pilgrims gather in Medjugorje.



Adoration Chapel

The Adoration Chapel was built in 1991, to offer a place for silent adoration of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar to the pilgrims. Due to the lack of prayer space at the Shrine, Holy Masses in different languages are celebrated there during the morning, but it is open for personal prayer during the afternoon.
In the year 2000, reliefs of five priests, natives of the parish, martyrs for the faith, killed by the communists at the very end of the World War II, were placed in the adoration chapel.


Statue Of the Queen of Peace

The marble statue of the Queen of Peace, which became a symbol of the Shrine (the work of Dino Felici from Italy) was put up in 1987 at the square in front of the church.

Confessionals

Thanks to Our Lady’s apparitions, Medjugorje became a place of reconciliation, which is especially experienced in the sacrament of Holy Confession. Twenty-five confessionals, built in 1990 and restored in 2001, can be found near the church; it is there that the faithful have daily occasion to experience God’s forgiveness.

Statue of St. Leopold Bogdan Mandić

The bronze statue of St. Leopold Bogdan Mandić (the work of Carmelo Puzzolo from Italy), patron saint of confessors, canonised on October 16, 1983, was put up in 1998 in the proximity of the exterior confessionals.


Mysteries of Light

Prayer Area Around the Crucifix.

At the northwest of the church, an area for silent prayer was arranged around a Crucifix . This is the place where pilgrims can light their votive candles.

Prayer Area Around the Statue of the Risen Saviour

At southwest of the church, onthe way towards the cemetery, a bronze statue of the Risen Saviour (the work of Slovenian sculptor Andrej Ajdič) was put up for Easter 1998. For Easter 2002, a space was arranged around the statue for personal and group prayer of the Stations of the Cross for those who cannot climb Cross Mountain.

Hall for Group Meetings and the Painting of the Queen of Peace

Prayer gatherings of pilgrims in the parish demanded the construction of a space for conferences, prayer meetings and international seminars. The Hall, which seats 800, was built in 1998.
There, you can also find a painting of the Queen of Peace (oil on tissue, work of Prof. Carmelo Puzzolo).

Cemetery “Kovačica”

The local cemetery “Kovačica” is where Fr. Slavko Barbarić is buried, as well as Fr. Križan Galić, who was killed by the partisans in the presbytery while he was Pastor in Medjugorje.

Different services and Institutions linked to the shrine


Presbytery

The presbytery, built in 1892, immediately after the creation of the parish, was restored in 1990. At the time when the old parish church was still under construction, when it was unsuitable for use, as well as during the war in 1992, Holy Mass was celebrated in its cellar.
The door of the presbytery is always open not only for the parishioners, but also for the pilgrims of the whole world.
In the presbytery, in the room where he was killed by the communists, you can find the relief of Fr. Križan Galic.

Information Booth

The Information Booth was created in 1991 and was re-established after the war in 1995. It serves the organisation of the pilgrim's programme at the Shrine: it centralises the registration of pilgrimages, establishes contact with guides and organises meetings with Medjugorje Franciscans and visionaries. The Association of Guides, established for the bettering service to pilgrims, is tightly linked to the Information Booth.

Souvenir Shop

In Medjugorje, as in other places of pilgrimages, pilgrims have the desire and the need to take home a souvenir of the experience they have made. Near the Presbytery is situated a Souvenir Shop, where pilgrims can find rosaries, crosses, medals, holy pictures, books, music, video/audio tapes, and other religious objects.

First Aid Station

The First Aid Station, opened in spring 2003, is on the west side of the Shrine, near the parking. Medical Service of the Maltese Order helps pilgrims and parishioners daily from 9 am to 9 pm, from May 1st to November 1st.

Parking

The parking lot, where pilgrims can leave their personal vehicles and busses, is on the west side of the Shrine.

Institutions linked to the shrine


Domus Pacis (House of Peace)

"Domus Pacis" is a house of prayer, bought in 1990, where prayer seminars (especially "Prayer and Fasting Seminars"), retreats and recollection days for local and foreign pilgrims take place.

Mother's Village

Mother's Village is an establishment for the education and care of abandoned and neglected children. It has existed since 1993. It emerged from the desire of its founder, Fr. Slavko Barbaric, to offer children and youth a planned, organised education, as well as care, so that they can develop physically, intellectually, morally, spiritually and culturally. Through Catholic contents and ideas, the collaborators offer them a condition of freedom, dignity, acceptance, and above all, love and understanding.
The care of children was entrusted to the Franciscan School Sisters from Herzegovina, and to lay staff members. The establishment started its work officially on September 8, 1996.
A Kindergarten, a Dentist's Lab and a Physical Therapy Station are also on the Mother's Village Campus.


St. Francis' Garden

St. Francis' Garden, a forest in the northwest part of Mother's Village, was the last project of the late Fr. Slavko Barbari?, inspired by Our Lady's message, where she tells us: "Go into nature and look how nature is awakening and it will be a help to you to open your hearts to the love of God, the Creator."
(April 25, 1993)  
Through patient work and care, a neglected pine forest grown on rocky ground became a beautiful natural place for recollection and recreation, prayer and education. There are also two little artificial lakes, didactical material for work with children, several domestic and wild animals and birds, as well as three ponies, which serve for hypotherapy (therapeutical riding adapted for handicapped children).

 
Back to content | Back to main menu